- First up - the best Iced tea you've ever tasted!
- 1 liter (about 4 cups)of boiling water
- 5 bags of Lipton's Blue fruit tea (or similar)
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- 1 dl (about 1/2 cup) elderflowersyrup (konc. flädersaft)
- 50 cl (about 2 fl.oz)Schweppe's Russian soda
2. Cray-ay-zeeee yummy homemade Peanutbutter cups:
Mix one jar (350g/12oz) of creamy peanutbutter with 5 dl(2 cups)of powdered sugar. You want to make it into a firm dough. If it's too dry add some fluid margarine or melted butter. Roll dough into a cylinder of 5 cm (2 inches) width. Cut into slices and put pieces onto a plate and stick it in the freezer for about 10 min. Dip into melted chocolate. I use about 350g (12oz) because I like a thick, crunchy layer of chocolate. Put in the fridge to harden. Or stick it in the freezer if you're in a rush to try them - haha!
3. The best warm salad ever! We always make this when we have friends over for dinner. We double up the recipe and it's always gone at the end. This recipe may seem a little complicated, but you'll learn it in time. It's definately worth it! Koosmali - indian carrot salad:
Link to recipe in Swedish here!
- 1 tbls cooking oil
- 2 tbls brown mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp Red hot chili flakes
- 2 tbls mango chutney
- 5 bay leaves
- 1 lb shredded carrots
- 2 tbls lemon juice
- 2 tbls chopped peanuts
- 1 quarter cup minced cilantro
4. My best easy and cheap soup for guests that visit at the end of your paycheck ;) It's also delicious - and vegetarian! Maharaja soup:
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 2 apples, shredded
- 1 tbls curry
- cooking oil
- 1 liter (4 cups) vegetable broth
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 1 dl (1/2 cup) pre-boiled rice
- 2 dl (barely 1 cup) creme fraiche (or sour cream)
Cook the onions, carrot and apples in oil together with curry. Add the broth and let simmer for 10 min. Stir in the tomatoes, boiled rice and creme fraiche. Top each plate with creme fraiche and a sprinkle of peanuts.
5. Quick and easy oatmeal cookies. I make these with my 3 y.o. son who loves to help in the kitchen. In Swedish they're called fork cookies. And you could use margarine instead of butter but really - just don't! It won't taste the same. That's another lesson from my grandma. Cookies demand butter!
- 200g (1 stick/4 oz) of butter
- 4 tbls sugar
- 1 1/2 dl (1/2 cup)oatmeal
- 3 dl (1,2 cups) flour
6. My favorite fish dish! Mexican tuna lasagna:
- 1 tbls cooking oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 tbls tomato paste
- 8 black pitless olives, thinly sliced
- 1 green chilipepper, seeds removed and chopped
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 can of tuna in water
- 1 small jar of cottage cheese
- 1 egg
- 2,5 dl (1 cup) of shredded cheese
- 4 wheat tortillas cut in slices (amount depends on size)
Preheat oven to 180 C ( 350 F). Put oil, onion and garlic in a pot, and cook until soft. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, olives, chili, green pepper and the ground cumin. Let simmer under a lid for 15 min. Take from heat and add the tuna. Stir well.
Mix egg and cottage cheese. Pour half of the tomatosauce into a lasagna oven dish. Cover with half of the shredded cheese. Spread the cottage cheese mix on top and then cover with the tortilla slices. Now pour the remaining tomatosauce over the tortillas. Sprinkle with the rest of the shredded cheese. Bake for 30 min. Some sour creme for topping is delicious!
7. The most amazing apple crumble pie ever. Truly!!! The Swedish name for it is "Bittes äppelpaj". I make the topping times 1,5. That's one more advice from grandma. Stingy people can't cook. Haha!
- 4 apples in thin slices
- 150 g (5 oz)of butter
- 3 dl (1,25 cups) oatmeal
- 2 dl (0,75 cups) sugar
- 1/2 dl (1 quarter cup)"ljus sirap" = light corn syrup
- 1 1/2 dl (1/2 cup) flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbls milk
Preheat oven to 175 C / 350 F. Melt the butter in a pan. Remove from heat. Mix in all other ingredients aside from the apples. Put apple slices in a buttered oven dish. Spread the batter on top. Cook for 30 minutes. Serve with lots of custard or ice cream.
Since this was a very large post to write I will have to add more tomorrow. Good nite!